Friday, September 19, 2008

My Path To My Chosen Career

I once faced a problem upon choosing which course to take. Will I take education, accountancy, physical therapy or mass communication? Among my choices, I excel none of those fields. I don’t have patience to teach students; I am not good in mathematics; I can’t stand a broken limb or blood, worst a corpse; I am not so good at communicating or writing. Hayyyyyyyyyyyy!

Graduation comes and my head was still gloomy on to what course I will take. Here comes June (classes starts June in the Philippines) and I am still puzzled. My cousin told me, “Why not take engineering?” I said, “WWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTT?!” I am dull in Mathematics, I hate Mathematics!” (This is a common problem up to now) But then, I don’t have a choice so I gave into him. He (my cousin) accompanied me to the only university then in our city. I enrolled for Geodetic Engineering. I met with my high school friends and they asked me what to take I told them what I was going to enroll. My close friend said, “hey, why don’t you join me in Electrical Engineering so that we can be classmates again.” She was able to convinced me and so I shifted to Electrical engineering.

The first year was tragic to me because my midterm examination in Algebra was 16 out of 100! Can you believe that!? To cut things short, I continued my course and was able to finished it in 5-year time with struggles and so much sacrifices just to passed all my subjects. I am proud to say I was one of the 23 survivors who passed out of the 146 original students.

After graduation, I enrolled one of the review centers in Cebu City for me to take the Licensure Examination for Registered Electrical Engineering. After 4 months of reviewing, I took and was able to pass the said examination. It was in 1999.

Looking back, I guess I made the right choice in choosing my path. Thanks to my friends and to my cousin who had played a key role in my career. I was able to overcome my hate toward Mathematics. Now, I was trying to inculcate to my daughter that Math is not that difficult for as long as not to hate it but try to love it despite of its complex principles. Most of all thanks to my tutor, who was so patient in teaching and explaining the different theorems and principles of Math and Engineering for me to be able to solve problems when examination comes. By the way my tutor graduated Cum Laude and . . . He turned out to be my husband. TOINK!

2 comments:

Fransiska Ike said...

Haha, interesting post.

I myself had a problem too in the past. I was confused to pick between accounting or IT major. However, my husband (was my fiance) decided that I should take the latter and it's turned out that he is indeed wise.

I graduated from that major and feel what a helpful major it was.

:) Now I need to thank my husband for that.

faye said...

hahaha
nice story here engr1
congratulations , god give you a way to meet your husband true MATHEMATICS: